September 21, 2007

Milly Designer Michelle Smith's Apartment in Elle Decor

I love the way that pattern is used in this apartment; the mix of geometric and organic patterns is unexpected, but subtle and balanced. I guess this should not be a surprise given that Smith is one of the few ready-to-wear designers whose patterns magically manage to not overwhelm.



I've developed a new found interest in animal prints, especially when they appear in unexpected colorways such as the yellow and white zebra print used on the chairs above - I absolutely love these chairs.



This jewel box of a dining room evokes chinoiserie for me. I love the sheen of the Asuka floral wall covering and the lattice style pocket doors that frame the view into the room, This particular combination of metallic elements (silver, gold, brass, and glass) and dark wood radiates glamour.



Just a glimpse of subtly metallic Hicks Hexagon wallpaper as seen in the entrance hall.

(All photos from Elle Decor, October 2007)